Since switching back to veganism in October, one of the most common questions I get asked is:
What do you eat?
I could answer this forever, but I thought I would start with my favorite morning go-to: avocado toast.
This recipe is an adaptation of my usual order at a favorite local cafe: Positvely 4th Street, so credit goes to them for the inspiration. I prefer their version when I’m able to get there, but this is a perfect substitute for weeks when the budget or the schedule is tight.
- 2 slices Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Bread, or bread/bagel of your preference. I have made this on a baguette, an everything bagel, and various brands of toast. Taste will vary depending on which you choose.
- Olive oil or vegan pesto (if Steve & I have pesto leftover from a previous dinner I will use this)
- 1/4-1/2 ripe avocado, depending on your caloric needs
- pink Himalayan sea salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, chia seeds
- toast bread to desired darkness (I like mine pretty dark, as evidenced in the photo)
- drizzle olive oil or pesto mixture onto slices
- top with mashed or sliced avocado
- sprinkle with sea salt, pepper, red pepper flakes & chia seeds to taste
- top with an egg over-easy if you’re not following a vegan diet (this is so good)
If you don’t like avocado you can also top toast with almond butter (or preferred nut butter), sliced banana & chia seeds. If you are looking for a lower carb option you can omit the toast & just top a banana with previously mentioned ingredients. This is one of my favorite post-workout snacks.
Other Super Simple Breakfast Options:
These are also in our regular rotation:
- Maple brown sugar oatmeal
- Fruit & granola with So Delicious Coconut Yogurt
- Fruit Smoothies/Green Smoothies/Vegan Protein Smoothies
- Kashi Island Vanilla with almond milk
- Tofu scramble with veggies, breakfast potatoes & side of grapefruit
- Vans GF Blueberry Waffles or Power Grains topped with a cup of berries, earth balance & drizzled with maple syrup or agave.
And there you have it, ladies & gentlemen. The top breakfast options here in our household, most taking under 15 minutes to make & always accompanied by hot coffee or a matcha latte. Let me know if you have questions about any of the above items, or if you’d like additional recipes for the more involved breakfasts like the tofu scramble, oatmeal or smoothies.
Any other plant-based eaters with a favorite go-to breakfast of champs? We are always looking to try new recipes!